Loans for farmers

When it comes to farming, there are many programs active. Mostly, they are dedicated to helping out those farmers who are just starting their agricultural venture or to those who are facing a crisis due to climate anomalies.

Operating loans

Farmers who face difficulties when purchasing equipment, livestock, or seeds can apply for Operating Loans. As far as the amount, FCAs operating loans for farmers go up to $400 000 and can also be used to cover family living expenses as well as farm operating costs in the beginning of it. The funding is a part of the USDA budget.

Farm ownership loans

For purchasing or expanding your ranch or farm, look up Farm Ownership Loans. These loans are used as financing of repairs, construction on the farm, or even paying closing costs. Also, they can be used for the improvements necessary for soil and water conservation and protection. Farm ownership loans are covering up to 100% of the mentioned costs and go up to $600 000.


As a type of Operating or Farm Ownership Loans, Microloans demand less paperwork. They are used for out-of-the-ordinary expenses. They're supposed to meet the needs of farmers who are just starting or never grew big. Or by any type of farming that could be described as unconventional. Even restaurants with their own farming unit can apply for a microloan.

Youth Loans

If you are a member of FFA, a Tribal group, or 4-H club between 10-20 years old and you need help with your educational agricultural project, take notice of the youth loan program. Youth Loans are a type of Operating Loan aimed to assist young farmers in acquiring knowledge and skills in agricultural-related areas. The cosigner is not necessary, as you will be responsible for repaying a loan.

Native American Tribal Loans

Another option for members of Tribal groups is Native American Tribal Loans. They are helping Tribes boost farming within a tribal reservation or Alaskan native community. By offering financial assistance to Native American communities, these loans are aimed at increasing productivity and preserving the farming land for the generations to follow.

Emergency Loans

When there is a tornado, or flood, or drought, or any other natural disaster and losses, Emergency Loans help farmers and ranchers recover from them. They are covering production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, or even a quarantine imposed by the Secretary of Agriculture. For production losses, there must be a 30% reduction in a primary crop. If a natural disaster or quarantine strikes, remember that not only the primal disastrous areas but also the neighboring areas can qualify for an emergency loan.
On related matters, there's also an Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) used to cover for any financial obligations or operating expenses that could not have been met had the disaster not occurred. For these loans, the application goes to the SBA directly. To be eligible for an EIDL, a business must have 500 or fewer employees. These businesses may also qualify for a Paycheck Protection Program which covers the wage obligations to make sure your workers won't end up without money when an emergency occurs.


A portion of FSA loan funds is set aside for Minority and Women Farmers and Ranchers who wish to buy and to operate a ranch or a farm. Another portion of FSA loan funds is set aside for the people who are just getting started on their farming journey. These are the loans for Beginning Farmers and Ranchers.

Copyright ©2024 New Hampshire Plant Growers Association. All Rights Reserved
contact nhpga c/o NH Farm Bureau 295 Sheep Davis Rd Concord, NH 03301 (603) 224-1934